i am so excited to have carla sullivan from minimunchers as a guest blogger today! if you haven't checked out minimunchers, it is the resource for dining out with children in nyc. even as a new yorker and an avid restaurant-goer, it can be a daunting task to find an appropriate spot for the family to dine. here is carla's picks for dining fabulously with kiddo:
nyc kid-friendly dining: dining in style with carla sullivan
Going out to eat with Minis doesn’t have to mean scarfing down a burger or pizza. The amazing thing about New York City is you don’t have to sacrifice style (or taste) to enjoy restaurant dining with your children.
MiniMunchers has uncovered some great restaurants that cater to everyone in the family with varied menus and a little verve!
1. Landmarc–With two locations, one at Columbus Circle and the other in TriBeCa, Landmarc has one of the most extensive children’s menus that I have ever seen, Landmarc really knows what kids want – from standards like macaroni and cheese and chicken fingers with fries to green eggs and ham, PB and Nutella or a petit filet mignon. Chef Marc Murphy also treats adults to a wonderful meal, the cesare salad and onion soup are great standouts for appetizers – and the Mussels with fries (served with ketchup and a mayo sauce!) and fish and pasta entrees are savory! Of course the views of Central Park in the soaring Columbus Circle location could almost trump any meal you get. BONUS, if your kids/your tip J are really good – your server might bring cotton candy to the table for dessert!
2. Fatty Crab–A relative new-comer to the UWS restaurant scene, this Malaysian inspired restaurant serves up a children’s menu that actually reflects what adults are eating – from dumplings with soy to fish fry in a box. With a following of trendy Upper West Siders, Fatty Crab is also a fun place for adults to eat, whether you choose the cool indoor dining room (with exposed brick) or the outdoor seating. Fatty Crab is a great choice for your adventurous eaters.
3. Atlantic Grill –Lincoln Center–When soaking in a little culture at Lincoln Center (yes they have children’s operas) a great alternative to the expensive tourist traps in Lincoln Center is Atlantic Grill. This location of what is a staple for hip Upper East Siders, just opened it’s doors in October. What I love about the children’s menu here is the Shrimp Tempura (oh I think my kids like it too) and I pretend to enjoy the yummy and varied selection of salads (they actually are good – including the seafood cobb, chopped salad and sesame crusted shrimp salad) while picking at their left-overs.
4. Brasserie Julien –Brasserie Julien has a downtown vibe but an UES location. There is nothing not to love about a cool French Bistro – from the Steak Frites and Moules Frites and cheese fondue – kids might just want what is on YOUR plate. The children’s menu is typical (although if you want something else they usually can accommodate) but minis do get to choose from a menu of desserts (included with their meals). Oh did I mention kids eat FREE Mon – Fri 4:30-6:30pm?? BONJOUR PARIS!!!
5. Fig & Olive –Madison Avenue location only– Ok, so they only have a kids menu at brunch on weekends – but the best part about the menu (for us moms with little ones) is that it includes Earth’s Best Organic Baby Food. So NICE to not have to schlep food for baby! But hello – when venturing with the little ones to GASP!! FAO Schwartz and Lego World or even Saks – it is nice to get a bit of a respite from the craziness and enter the serene setting at Fig & Olive. The olive oil is amazing (available to purchase if you choose) and older children might be interested in the “tasting” they present at each table with their yummy bread. As much of the menu is built on little tastes (crostini, charcuterie, Cheese board, olives, etc.) it is a fun spot to get a little of everything for the whole family to share.
To check out these restaurants children’s menus or to see reviews on these and many more NYC kid-friendly spots, check out www.MiniMunchers.com. Happy Munching!